Question: How can you be sure that God even exists if He can’t be seen?
Answer: This is a valid question, but there is a problem with it. The question assumes that God doesn’t exist because He can’t be seen. In reality, there are many things that we know exist, even if we can’t see them.
The Bible never sets out to prove the existence of God. It doesn’t have to. The existence of God is evident in the world around us. In fact, God’s existence is so evident that the Bible states: “The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” (Psalm 14:1).
You might say, “Hold on there! What evidence are you talking about?”
Well, look at the world around you. Consider at the intricacy of the human body. Gaze upon the amazing beauty of the trees and flowers. Ponder the vastness of space in the galaxies beyond. Every automobile, tractor, chair, house, toy, and phone has a maker. You have probably never seen the people who designed and built your car, but no sensible person would say that those people don’t exist, just because they haven’t seen them. The car you drive shows evidence of design and of being built by someone. You can even tell certain things about a designer/creator from their work.
Every creation has a CREATOR. The Bible says: “For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God” (Hebrews 3:4). God is unseen, but His fingerprints can be found all around us in His creation.
While the creation reveals the fingerprints of God, it does not clearly show WHO God is. Our knowledge of God from creation is very limited because we don’t see Him directly, we only see evidence of His existence. But the God of creation wants us to know Him personally and so He has also revealed Himself to us in His Word. In the pages of the Bible God paints a detailed picture of Himself in the person and atoning work of Jesus Christ.
The Bible tells us that in Jesus Christ we see God.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men…. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:1-4,14). [The Word is Jesus. Compare John 1:15 with Matthew 3:11.]
- “For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:6).
- “For in Him [Christ Jesus – see v.6] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9).
Jesus was unlike any other human being. He was perfect. Jesus shows God’s love for sinners by taking our place under the Law of God and dying the death that we deserve because of our sin.
How can we know that God exists?
- Creation reveals that there is a God who is powerful and wise.
- Our conscience tells us that we have disobeyed God’s laws and that we will be punished.
- The Bible shows us that God has sent sinners a Savior in Jesus Christ.
It is obvious that God exists. Thanks be to God for his mercy and love in creation, but more importantly in Jesus!